Toward the end of your junior year (April, May), or early in your senior year (August, September), ask your teachers, coaches, counselors, bosses, community member etc., for a letter of recommendation if it is required by the colleges you will be applying to. Please ask your recommender to write for you in person. DO NOT ask them in an email. Ask them in person. It is the professional way to do it. Prior to asking your recommender in person, you should complete the “Information for Recommendation Letter” questionnaire in Naviance (see GRAPHIC #1 below). The information you provide in this questionnaire will help your recommender write a quality letter for you. If your recommender works at Brother Rice, he or she will be able to view your responses online in Naviance. However, we advise you to print out your responses and provide it to your recommender when you ask them in person to write for you. If your recommender agrees to write for you when you ask them, the next step is to add them in the “Recommender” section in Naviance (see GRAPHIC #2 below). In this section in Naviance, let the recommender know the colleges you would like them to send your letter, and the deadline it needs to be submitted by. See your Counselor if you need help completing this step in Naviance. Remember, faculty members at Brother Rice get overwhelmed with letter of recommendation requests, so please provide at least 4 weeks of notice. Also, it is your responsibility to follow up with your recommenders to ensure that they send your letters prior to your deadlines.
1. In Naviance, click the “about me” tab.
2. Click “information for recommendation letters.”
3. Complete the questions.
4. Print a copy of your responses so you can provide it to your recommender when you ask them to write for you.
1. In Naviance, click on the “colleges” tab.
2. Under the Teacher Recommendations heading, click “add/cancel requests.”
3. Click on the “select teacher” from the drop down menu and then select your recommender by clicking on their name.
4. In the clear box to the right, inform your recommender of the colleges that you would like them to submit your letter, and the deadline it needs to be submitted by. Also, please take the opportunity to thank your recommender for writing for you.
5. Click “Update Requests” at the bottom of the screen. An email will then be sent to your recommender containing the text you wrote in the clear box.